Kevin grew up in Corona, California. He moved to the big city, Riverside, in 1977 to begin his undergraduate work in history. In 1987, he graduated with a BA in History from UCR. His academic career was punctuated by the marriage to his wife Diane in 1985. They held the ceremony in UCR's botanical gardens.
He has held positions of responsibility as a substitute teacher in RUSD and Jurupa USD, in addition to managing Sizzler and Naugles restaurants. He also owned a small business, Shakespeare & Co. Cafe.
With Kevin as a devoted stay-at-home dad, he and Diane raised two wonderful kids, Katharine, and Ethan. He has been a Ward 2 resident since 1985 and engaged in the civic life of of Riverside for ten years.
His current committee memberships and leadership roles extend across the city:
- Board member of Friends of Riverside Hills to
- Member of Neighbors Better Together, a citywide community leadership forum.
- Co-Chair of Smart Neighbors for Smart Growth.
As a neighborhood activist his energy for supporting his neighbors and working for fairness, equality, and safety are without peer:
- Current member and past co-chair of University Neighborhood Association
- UNA Community representative- University Neighborhood Overlay City working group
- UNA Community representative- UCR Physical Master Plan Study
- UNA Community representative- UCR North District Working Group
- Past member of UNA Train Committee
His past roles have also been significant:
- County of Riverside Election Observer Panel
- Save Our Vote
- Save Riverside
- VP of Victoria Elementary School Outdoor Education Program
Kevin's wife, Diane Dawson has been a Social Studies teacher for the last 23 years at San Bernardino City USD. They continue to live in the University Neighborhood enjoying the richness of the neighborhood while continuing to work for fairness, equality, and safety .
Kevin will be your councilman with the interests of the people living in the community foremost in his thoughts and actions.
Please vote for Kevin Dawson, ward 2 councilman, Riverside CA.
We need helpers to win this election...
Kevin needs help reaching out to voters, raising money, and many other things. If you agree that he is the right person for Ward 2 councilman, reach out and help make that happen.